Letter Exchange Program Connects Floridians
Florida Humanities is pleased to introduce Dear Stranger, a letter-writing project that invites Floridians to gain a deeper understanding of themselves and their state by sharing experiences, beliefs, and ideas with random strangers.
We invite you to reflect on a humanities related theme and then we’ll swap your letter with a letter from another writer. They will get your letter; you will get theirs. The exchange is anonymous, and you can share as little or as much information about yourself as you like.
Anyone is welcome to participate in the program by providing a letter they’d like to pass along to a stranger and a signed release form authorizing us to do so.
For the inaugural Dear Stranger exchange, we offer this prompt:
What does the humanities mean to you?
Interested in participating in the program? Here’s how:
- Simply address a letter to “Dear Stranger.” Write a little or a lot. Include a photo or drawing or recipe or anything else that might fill out your story.
- By December 31, 2023 email your letter to [email protected] or mail it to:
Dear Stranger c/o Florida Humanities
599 Second St. St.
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
- Complete the Dear Stranger release form. We cannot exchange letters without a release.
- Be sure to write your name and return address on your envelope or include it in your email so we can match your letter with your release form and exchange your letter.
- Expect a return letter sometime after Jan. 15, 2024.