In local communities across Florida, humanities-rich programming is making a lasting impact in the hearts and minds of Sunshine State residents and visitors alike. Florida Humanities is proud to partner with local community champions to bring you high-quality public programming through Community Project Grants, Florida Talks, Museum on Main Street, and more.
Alert: Some events may be canceled or postponed. We work to ensure that our events calendar remains accurate. We strongly urge you to call the event contact for any program you are interested in to confirm that the event is still planned.
- This event has passed.
Braver Angels – Skills for Bridging the Divide
February 20, 2021 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
A free workshop to learn & practice skills for having more respectful & productive political conversations with people on the “other side.”
About this Event
There’s a lot of stress these days among family members and friends who are divided politically, and the current polarized public conversation doesn’t help. Please join us for a Braver Angels Skills for Bridging the Divide Workshop and learn skills for having respectful conversations that clarify differences, search for common ground, and affirm the importance of the relationship.
This free workshop does the following:
- Provides knowledge about what it takes to have constructive, non-polarizing conversations between people who disagree politically
- Gives you the chance to practice these skills to have these conversations
- Motivates you to have these conversations with people in your social network
Workshop Format: This is a two-part workshop combining an online eLearning course and an online, interactive workshop offered over Zoom.
- Part one consists of this 40 minute, interactive course. You complete this online before the workshop.
- Part two is practicing what you’ve learned in our 90-minute, online workshop. You will practice the listening and speaking skills in a pair with someone of your own political persuasion—red or blue. “Reds” lean conservative and tend to vote Republican. “Blues” lean liberal and tend to vote Democratic. If you fall somewhere in the middle, you can choose a side for purposes of practicing the skills.
Who can come? Anyone interested in having better conversations with people on the other side of the political aisle.
Questions? Contact Paul Witte at [email protected].
This workshop is a free event brought to you by Braver Angels in partnership with Florida Humanities as part of the “Why it Matters: Civic and Electoral Participation” initiative, administered by the Federation of State Humanities Councils and funded by Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
February 20, 2021 @ 1:00 pm -
February 20, 2021 @ 3:00 pm