FORUM Magazine: Fall 2021 – Chronicling Florida
FORUM, Vol. XLV, No. 3 Fall 2021, Chronicling Florida
Under the Gaze of the Sun
From the first newspaper in 1783, to the Golden Age of Florida newspapers and this year’s Pulitzer Prizes, Florida’s newspapers have grown, prospered and struggled in a state rich with stories. We explore the rituals, the rivalries and the reporting and share a timeline of key milestones. By Gary R. Mormino and David Shedden. Plus a Florida Newspaper History Timeline 1783–2021. By David Shedden.
- Letter from the Editor
- Humanities Today
- An Evening with Danielle Allen. The Harvard University scholar and candidate for governor of Massachusetts says her most important role is citizen. Florida Humanities will host a virtual discussion with Allen on September 30. By Jacki Levine.
- A Conversation with Nashid Madyun. The new executive director of Florida Humanities talks about his journey from his hometown, Helena, Arkansas, to the Stax Museum in Memphis, and the Black Archives museum at FAMU. By Jacki Levine and Keith Simmons.
- Making the invisible, visible. Since 1873, Florida’s black newspapers have advocated, informed and reflected lives often ignored. By Kenya Woodard.
- A new model for news? As traditional newspapers are shuttered and squeezed by the internet and 24-hour news channels, nonprofits emerge to fill the void. By Ron Cunningham.
- LITERARY FLORIDA, What the seashells tell us. A new book on seashells by Cynthia Barnett weaves history, science and culture to issue a warning about the excesses of human behavior that are threatening the seas. By Ron Cunningham.
- HERITAGE KITCHEN, Korean home cooking. Jennifer and Michele Kaminski, the sisters behind the 2 Korean Girls restaurant, bring dishes inspired by their mother’s cooking and a voice against anti-Asian prejudice to Miami. By Dalia Colón.
- STATE OF WONDER, Imagine you and me. A retired senior pastor and photographer documents two woodpeckers cooperating to create a nest and is overcome with gratitude for nature and his ability to experience it.
- Art History
- Climate and Environment
- Current Exhibitions
- Florida Photography
- Florida Women
- Food and Drink
- FORUM Magazine
- Funding News
- History and Heritage
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Literature and Poetry
- Military and Veterans
- Past Exhibitions
- Press Releases
- Special Interest
- The "Humanities"
- Travel & Tourism
- Video, Film and Documentaries