FORUM Magazine: Spring 2021 – Written in Water
Vol. XLV, No 1 Spring 2021, Written In Water
Our Story of Water
From the earliest days, the lives of those who have lived on this peninsula have been interwoven with Florida’s waterways — from where we live to how we see the world. In these pages, we look at the endless ways water has shaped our state. By Jacki Levine.
- Water: The elemental link to Florida’s identity
- Humanities Today
- Makeshift freedom – The often-primitive boats known as “chugs” offered a perilous escape for generations of Cubans fleeing their island home. The Key West Tropical Forest and Botanical Garden displays a group of these vessels, in an exhibit partially funded by a Florida Humanities grant. By Janet Scherberger.
- Return of Smithsonian’s “Water/Ways” – The Museum on Main Street traveling exhibition begins its Florida tour in June, focusing on a topic crucial to Floridians.
- Water As Our Life Story – How earliest inhabitants coped with a rising sea, Noted archaeologist Kenneth Sassaman takes us on a journey back to the earliest days of the land that became Florida, when the rising seas shaped the lives of the ancients. By Kenneth Sassaman.
- Water As Our Way of Life:
- Treasures beneath — and beside — the sea – In Tarpon Springs, this Greek sponge diver found a livelihood, and a community, that reminded him of home. By Janet Scherberger.
- Coming together for a beloved Bay – Florida Bay Forever unites everyone from fisherfolk to business owners in concern for the life-giving Everglades-Florida Keys waterway. By Jacki Levine.
- Voices of the Bay – Who better to tell the story of a threatened waterway than those who know it best. As part of Florida Bay Forever’s “Voices of Florida Bay” project, fishing guide Captain Eddie Wightman recounts a life on the water. As told to Emma Haydocy.
- Water as A Natural Bridge, Bonding across the Straits of Florida – Our shared waterways — and the marine life within — bonds scientists from Cuba and Florida together across the political divides. A Cuban marine biologist who now works in Clearwater offers a personal perspective. By Anmari Alvarez Aleman.
- Water as A Divider, When beaches were not for all, Our beaches and swimming pools once illustrated and furthered a great divide, separating us one from another in the days of segregation. By Audrey Peterman.
- Water as Freedom, Fluid freedom – There’s something about water — the seas, springs, rivers, lakes — that evokes freedom for those who seek it. But in our crowded state, watery liberty has its limits. By Thomas T. Ankersen.
- Water as A Healing Source, In search of miracle cures – Author Rick Kilby takes us back a century, when our seas and springs lured Victorian-era tourists here with promises of healing. By Rick Kilby.
- Water as Inspiration
- Remembering Bill Belleville, A literary appreciation of the late writer and naturalist, who celebrated the state and its waterways, encouraging his readers to get out and explore. By Cynthia Barnett.
- A magical place, revisited, This historian and writer returns with his daughter to his boyhood waterside home and reunites with a source of his lifelong passion. By Jack Davis.
- On the water, of the water. By Angelique Herring.
- The Sewing Box and the Great Blue. By Hannah Gorski.
- Water as We Look to the Future – Building for tomorrow’s rising seas Just as ancient Floridians did, today’s planners, architects and engineers envision ways to live with the rising seas. By Ron Cunningham.
- State of Wonder, Peace of the manatee – This photographer finds a welcome respite paddling our waters on her annual trips to Florida, particularly when she encounters one of the state’s most gentle and popular creatures. By Courtney Welch.
- Art History (4)
- Book Fairs (1)
- Climate and Environment (25)
- Culture (5)
- Current Exhibitions (5)
- Documentaries (9)
- Florida Photography (12)
- Florida Talks: At Home! (32)
- Florida Women (2)
- Food and Drink (6)
- FORUM Magazine (13)
- Funding News (25)
- Grant Awards (24)
- GrantED (15)
- History and Heritage (64)
- Let's Talk About Water (4)
- Lifetime Achievement Award (11)
- Literature and Poetry (15)
- Long History of Race Relations (7)
- Military and Veterans (8)
- Past Exhibitions (23)
- Podcast (35)
- Press Releases (7)
- Special Interest (47)
- The "Humanities" (11)
- Travel & Tourism (2)
- Veterans: The Telling Project (6)
- Video, Film and Documentaries (9)