FORUM Magazine: Summer 2021 – Watch them soar
FORUM, Vol. XLV, No 2 Summer 2021, Watch them soar
You may not know them, but you should…
Meet 18 Florida women whose stories are unforgettable. By Peggy Macdonald, Janet Scherberger and Jacki Levine
- Humanities Today
- Sephardi Voices: Discovering hidden pasts and living legacies. By Janet Scherberger.
- Emergency planning readies cultural organizations for anything. By Janet Scherberger.
- Race relations series shines light, context on today’s tragic events. By Keith Simmons.
- Florida Stories puts state’s history in the palm of your hand. By Janet Scherberger.
- Literary Florida, Writers on writing
Florida Book Awards winners talk about their latest books, their favorite writers, and a year unlike any other. Plus, the complete list of Florida Book Award winners. By Colette Bancroft.
- Raising their Voices, poetically
The pandemic stopped the state’s Poetry Out Loud competition from convening in person, but it couldn’t hold back the talent of the competitors. Meet this year’s winner. By Elizabeth Djinis.
- A Gift of Envisioning Florida
The donation of Samuel and Roberta Vickers’ 1,200-piece Floridathemed art collection to the University of Florida’s Harn Museum of Art may transform how we view our state. By Jacki Levine. And 10 Works that are “not to be missed”
- Commemorating July 17, 1821
Two hundred years after Spain formally ceded Florida to the United States, Pensacola and Escambia County — where it all happened — memorialize the bicentennial with events and an appreciation of many who were forgotten. Plus, a history of three centuries of Spanish influence, Setting the stage: The early Spanish period in Florida 1565-1763 by Judith A. Bense, Commemorating July 17, 1821 by Margo Stringfield, and Twilight of the Spanish, 1780s-1821 by Brian R. Rucker.
- Heritage Kitchen, A recipe for connection
This chef mixed a bit of New England, a dollop of Florida, and a dash of family tradition to create her own brand of culinary happiness. By Dalia Colon.
- Insider’s Florida, What you’ll see on road less traveled
It’s time to discover the backroads of Florida and five out-of-the way gems with no highways in sight. By Ron Cunningham.
- State of Wonder, The call of the springs
For this photographer, a day spent on a spring-fed river always yields visual — and soulful — delights. By Ashlee Condor.
- Art History (4)
- Climate and Environment (25)
- Culture (5)
- Current Exhibitions (2)
- Documentaries (9)
- Florida Photography (12)
- Florida Talks: At Home! (32)
- Florida Women (2)
- Food and Drink (5)
- FORUM Magazine (13)
- Funding News (22)
- Grant Awards (21)
- GrantED (10)
- History and Heritage (64)
- Let's Talk About Water (4)
- Lifetime Achievement Award (11)
- Literature and Poetry (15)
- Long History of Race Relations (7)
- Military and Veterans (8)
- Past Exhibitions (23)
- Podcast (27)
- Press Releases (7)
- Special Interest (44)
- The "Humanities" (11)
- Travel & Tourism (2)
- Veterans: The Telling Project (6)
- Video, Film and Documentaries (9)